Humble Pie 'n' Mash History
The first written deeds we have on the property state that the lease was brought by John Sneaton of Sneaton - a shoemaker in the 13th year of the reign of King Charles I (1638) from Hugh Chomley - a Knight of Whitby
The building was in existence a good while before 1638. The back of the property is timber framed and some parts are believed to be medieval.
The fireplaces were modernised around the Georgian era, the inglenook fireplace originally would have been open all the way up through the building.
While we were restoring the mantel shelf attached to the fire beam, we found a gap at the back, which many articles had fallen down over the centuries, old shoe buckles (from the 1638 shoe maker), rings, bone combs, coins (one dated back to 16thc). A quill pen, buttons, hairpins, pieces of clay pipes, Keys, beads, written notes, pencils and many other interesting artefacts, some of which we have still not identified, maybe you know what they are, please pop in and take a look!
We do not know all the names of the different inhabitants of this fantastic old building, but we know that the Sleightholme Family lived and worked here in the Victorian times, running the shop as a confectioners and bakery. Members of the family continued to run the business into the 1960s as a Bakery and Tea Room's, a relative of the Sleightholmes family has kindly donated an old photograph of the shop circa 1900s and a photocopy of uncle Johnny carrying a tray of pies from the shop circa 1909!
We also have a clipping from the Whitby Gazette from 1879, which shows an advert for the shop proclaiming it to be a coffee house, serving herb beer and other goods.
We did not know about the Bakery and Pie connection until after we opened Humble Pie ’n’ Mash, so we seem to have returned the building back to its original tradition.
We do hope you enjoy our lovely old shop and our delicious Home-Baked Pies.